Saturday 1 December 2007

Remembering the build up to Revenge of the Sith

Can it really be just over two years since the release of Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith (ROTS)? Alas it is and whilst looking through some of my old files on the film, mainly from the defunct Delta Source web site, I found the following piece setting out my expectations of the film. It is interesting to look back on it now with the hindsight of having had two years to have considered and digested the film and its context within the overall Star Wars saga. I also found another piece I wrote for the web site, which was I guess my first attempt at a blog - a Countdown Diary for the last five weeks up until ROTS release, in which I invariably gushed and barely contained by school boy excitement... Anyhows, let's take a look back at what I expected of ROTS and consider whether it did deliver.

"I am trying not to become too carried away with the hype and speculation on Episode III: Revenge of the Sith although that isn’t easy despite the ultimate disappointments of the first two parts in the prequel trilogy. That is not to say that Episode’s I & II were wholly bad films; indeed I enjoyed and enthused about both when they were released. However, neither ultimately lived up to my lofty expectations. For that reason, I am trying to keep in check my hopes for Revenge of the Sith, although who cannot fail to be excited by the prospect of one of the most fearsome lightsabre duels of the saga between Obi-wan and Anakin? I am sure that most fans have either imagined or had their own ideas on how the duel would be and finally, we’ll get to see whether it meets any of our expectations or predictions. (Interestingly my first reactions immediately after seeing ROTS were somewhat muted. Like the previous two films it had promised a great deal in the build up but the final result was somewhat less than satisfying. The much anticipated lightsabre duel between Anakin and Obi-wan was one of the film's disappointments for me, although its few moments of pathos particularly as Obi-wan leaves his old friend for dead on the volcanic wastes of Mustafar, did raise it above being just another lightsabre fight).

Personally, I am looking forward more to the corruption of Anakin and its results. Seeing him arise as Darth Vader in the trailer was a spine-tingling moment. It was a scene that makes you want to cheer and is a delicious temptation of how dark this film could be (yes but it wasn't nearly dark enough). After all by the end of Revenge of the Sith almost all the major characters from the previous two prequels will be dead and the galaxy under the heel of Palpatine’s Empire.

It occurs to me that although that basic sequence of events forms the core of the film, there is going to need to be extensive exposition to cover everything that needs to be in Episode III. It seems likely that we will see Anakin’s children before the closing credits and I hope we will see the fate of Padme, which will tie in with Return of the Jedi and Leia’s vague memories of her mother. I wonder if Lucas would end the film with the Tantive IV stealing the Death Star plans, so setting up the story to continue with the start of A New Hope. (I think one of the weaknesses of ROTS was that there was too much exposition and too little that was tied together effectively enough to bridge the gap to A New Hope. I was right that we would see Anakin's children before the closing credits, although why Leia should remember her mother and Luke doesn't is a complete mystery. Similarly lacking of believability was Padme's demise. It would have been far better if it had been stated that she had died as a result of the injuries inflicted upon her by Anakin when he was using the Force to choke her. Perhaps this was considered too dark by Lucas and ultimately how could a man who had killed his own wife be redeemed? I think it would have given the scene ultimately more credibility and made Anakin's anguish and pain, which we see expressed as he first arises as Darth Vader all the more potent).

I am a little disappointed that yet another villain is being introduced. No matter how great General Grevious is, will another character at this late stage not be a distraction? I thought the same of Dooku in Attack of the Clones and I was largely proved wrong there! Besides, I doubt that Grevious will remain in the film much beyond the film’s opening battles. (He did make it a little past the opening battles but he was a token villian much like Dooku, who is dispensed with far too cheaply at the start. There was no need for Grevious and whilst his simultaneous skills with four lightsabres was good, it was far too short a duel to be impressive)

It will be interesting to see whether Lucas decides to deal with the issue of midichlorians or the true identity of Sifo Dyas – my guess still is that it is either Yoda or Mace Windu. And will we see C-3PO and R2-D2 having their memories wiped? (The mystery of who is Sifo Dyas remains just that. We didn't see them actually having their memories wiped but C-3PO does befall that fate!)

The music is one aspect of Revenge of the Sith, that I approach with no apprehensions, only excited anticipation. John Williams’ music has been a constant throughout the saga and his themes are as memorable as the images they accompany. I expect that the Episode III score will contain many dark undercurrents, certainly Vader’s theme – the Imperial March – and bold restatements of the Emperor’s Theme. I am also expecting big things of the music for the Anakin/Obi-wan duel, which promises to be as frenetic and powerful as the on-screen action. (The music was as I expected the one thing, which really did impress. Williams' did more than just use existing themes, he composed some stunning new pieces as well, my favourites being the elegiac Anakin's Betrayal and the darkly menacing Palpatine's Teachings).

Ultimately, whether Revenge of the Sith is good or bad, surpasses all expectations or disappoints, it will be the final Star Wars film and for that reason alone, it will have a special resonance. For a long time after the final fanfare fades and the screen returns to black, its memory will be with us.
(This remains true and will always be because whatever the merits or otherwise of the prequels, they are still a part of that great saga, Star Wars. Revenge of the Sith like the previous two prequels was a mixed bag and ultimately it could have been a far more nourishing and enjoyable experience. Rarely do the characters or the dialogue rise above the impressiveness of the special effects and this is the problem with all the prequels. It is very nice to look at but so desperately shallow, not that the original films were of Shakespearean quality but at least they had characters of depth and story that engaged and carried the film forward).

5 comments:

jamie said...

this really ought to be an actaul post i suppose,
as my nephew and my mates boy have become of age,so have they both become fans of super heroes and,in part due to its repeat cycle of showings on sky,the star wars saga.
to be honest,i am now revered as some kind of false god in their eyes,due to my now lifetime obsession with the saga,a fact my family all recognise and more so to do with my not unremarkable star wars toy collection.
several children have passed through our doors with excited gasps and oohs and aahs,as they gaze upon my room of wonder...
as i pass on my knowledge to this 'next generation' of fans,i can't help but wipe a tear from my eyes,as i empty their pockets of my most prized figures,the theiving little bastards.

jamie said...

apologies for the atrocious spelling errors,
my fingers move faster than the naked eye,it would seem.

Anonymous said...

Delta Source reborn!

I bow down to the two false gods of Mark and Jamie.

Mark said...

Hello Tim, welcome along :-) And Jamie did you get my email inviting you to be a bog author?

Derek said...

Hey, wonderful to see "Delta Source" back on-line - glad my suggestion was of some use!! :)

I think I need to re-watch "ROTS" over Xmas with a fresh pair of eyes and see what I think of it now.

I'm definitely going to watch "Star Wars" (original version) on the 27th December...the UK 30th Anniversary release date. If you are a near a PC on that day, you could write a bit about it.

:)